Talking Fitness Thursday: Human Pincushion

Happy Thursday, everyone! I couldn’t be happier that it’s Thursday this week, for two reasons:

1. We’re a day closer to leaving for our first family vacation!
2. I’m finally (for now, at least) finished playing the role of human pincushion!

After our initial consultation with Dr. K, she gave The Hubby and I a rather long checklist of things to get done before our next meeting on April 18. Part of that checklist included bloodwork for both of us. Each of us was given a script for tests to be run; Hubs’ script has about seven things on it, mainly STDs and things like that, so his blood draw should be a fairly quick one-time thing. Mine, on the other hand? I was tested for twenty-five different things.

Twenty-five. Do you know how many vials of blood that translates to? Take a guess and I’ll give you the answer in a second. First, let’s back up a bit, shall we?

*beep, beep, beep*

When I reported to Quest Diagnostics on Tuesday morning, my appointment was set for 8am. The reason for this was because, among all of the tests that had to be done, I was required to participate in a glucose tolerance test. Anyone who’s been pregnant or tested for PCOS or diabetes knows how this test works: you drink a small bottle of artificially-flavored, syrupy nastiness and then you have to sit for however long the test calls for, having blood drawn hourly until time is up. I’ve heard of one-, two-, and three-hour glucose tolerance tests; my test on Tuesday was a two-hour test. This meant that, after drinking the glucose beverage, I had to sit in the waiting room, bored out of my mind and more than a little exhausted (thanks to Joshua, who decided that not only would he rather sleep in my bed the night before, but that he’d rather sleep on my side of my bed, forcing me to sleep in his twin bed) while I waited for two hours to pass so I could go home. I wanted to read, but I couldn’t pay attention — between the nurse making conversation with me (no one else was there but us) and the TV turned up so loud, I couldn’t focus — so I just sat there and waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

Oh, it’s been an hour? Let’s draw a vial of blood, and then return to the state of utter boredom for another hour.

Hello, state of boredom. I wonder what your state Capitol is. What’s your state flower? Do you call it soda or pop? Do you say coffee or caw-fee?

Ding ding ding! Another hour is up! Let’s go draw one more vial of blood and then I can finally go home!

By the time I walked out of Quest, I felt like a human pincushion. I felt like I’d been sucked dry. All I wanted was a nap (and of course I couldn’t take one, because I had to go home and take care of Joshua).

But I digress.

So what was the final number of vials, you wanted to know. So there were two vials drawn during the glucose tolerance test; to cover all the other tests that had to be run, the nurse drained fifteen vials’ worth from my left arm when I first arrived at Quest. Basic math?

Seventeen vials. That’s a lot of blood! And this was to confirm PCOS and get a clearer picture of my overall health — STDs, cholesterol, hormone levels, complete blood count, and a host of other things I know nothing about. And that was just on Tuesday — yesterday morning, I had to drive over to Dr. K’s office to get yet another vial drawn to get my baselines. I figured I would be done after that, but Nurse J called with an interesting surprise for me yesterday afternoon. She said that, for day 3 of a cycle, my estrogen levels should be somewhere around 70; mine was at 91…so the human pincushion lives another day — I had to go back to get yet another baseline blood draw this morning! Hopefully my estrogen has dropped to a normal level since yesterday. If not, I don’t know what that will mean for me, but I will definitely come back and update this post if and when I get another phone call this afternoon. Fingers crossed, please!

Being a human pincushion is hard!

To read Becca’s post for this week, click here!